DMV & Emissions Testing Locations In Alabama

Alabama

Alabama Smog Check / Emissions Tests

Even though there are laws for cities and municipalities in Alabama to have smog check requirements for vehicles, the state does not currently require smog checks. There are free resources available to get a vehicle tested or owners can take their vehicles to a private company to get an emissions test.

If you know you need an Emissions test done click here to select your county and find the nearest location.

Requirements to Pass the Alabama Smog Check

The Waste Reduction and Technology Transfer Foundation has partnered with The Alabama Partners for Clean Air to provide free smog checks at Express Oil Service Center locations in Jefferson County and Shelby County. If a vehicle does not pass a smog check, the owner is not obligated to get the repairs done.

Alabama Green Driver Incentives

In spite of the fact that state has no Smog Check requirements, there are still incentives for eco-friendly drivers. Federal Tax breaks may still apply and also tax incentives for alternative fuel vehicles (AFV) as well. Some auto insurance providers also give eco-friendly driver a percentage discount for their customers. Also, the Alabama Power company offers a rate reduction for homeowners with plug-in electric vehicles.

Smog Check Fees

The state does not regulate the price for smog checks so prices can vary. Call a few places to shop around to find a good price.

Performing Emissions Testing in Alabama

Most vehicles made in the 1996 model year or newer, come with Diagnostic System Check test functionality. This test system will alert a driver of any major mechanical issues with the vehicle associated with vehicle emissions. When a “Check Engine” or “Service Engine Soon” light comes on, it’s time to consider getting a vehicle emissions test.

Low Income? Try the Alabama Car Care Program

If testing personnel find that your car has high emissions, The Car Care Program pays for 80% of qualified repairs up to a maximum of $700. Owners pay the remaining 20%. If the cost of the repairs exceeds $700 the owner pays 20% of the repair plus any excess over the $700.

Only certain mechanical issues qualify for repairs through the Car Care Program:

  • Oxygen sensors
  • Diagnostic tests
  • Any repairs deemed necessary by testing personnel

Also, be aware that these vehicles do not qualify for Car Care Program:

  • Vehicles 12 years or older
  • Vehicles under a manufacturer’s warranty or other extended warranties
  • The replacement of mufflers

This program is a great way for residents to get involved, and contribute to improving the state’s air quality and reduce air pollution. For more information about free smog check locations, hours, and The Car Care Program please visit Alabama Partners for Clean Air – Voluntary Emissions Testing Calendar.

Special Tips to Pass the Alabama Emissions Test

Vehicle owners who want to participate in the Car Care program must have their cars registered in Jefferson or Shelby counties. Before taking a care to get a smog check, run the car for at least 10 minutes. Also, make sure the vehicle’s “check engine” light is not on. This will surely make the vehicle fail the test.

How to Reduce Driving Emissions & Pollution

Pollution kills upwards of 200,000 people every year. Smog checks help but are not always enough. The state does provide the public with air pollution and ozone warnings. When the state alerts the public of these air quality incidents, there are several actions residents can take to protect themselves, their families, and environment:

  • Stay indoors when possible
  • Start a ride share or carpool for work
  • Work remotely or from home
  • Adjust your thermostat up in the summer; down in the winter
  • Use public transportation
  • Ride a bike or walk more often
  • Refuel your vehicle during cooler times of the day
  • Don’t use lawn mowers and other gas-powered equipment
  • Avoid the use of aerosol products, oil-based paints, and solvents.
  • Do more with less trips; combine errands and schedule travel around multiple commitments

Find Smog Check Stations Near Me In Alabama

Express Oil Change in partnership with the Alabama Partners for Clean Air have provided Free Smog Checks at the following locations in and around Birmingham recently. Check out our DMV & Emissions Testing Locations pages below to find a DMV office or Smog Check location in your area.

Smog Check Stations in Birmingham, Alabama

With a population of roughly over 200, 000, Birmingham is the largest city in the state. Shelby and Jefferson counties make up majority of Birmingham’s metropolitan areas. The city is home to several Express Oil Change locations. Visit our DMV & Emissions Testing Locations in Birmingham page to find a list of all the places a vehicle can get a smog check in your area.